South Africa Government loans for chicken farming

Poultry loans , or grants from the South African government are available for small chicken farmers through several programs. Loans should be applied for through your local Department of Agriculture. Applicants will need to have a poultry business plan. Government graants and loans can be for land, loans for broiler chicken houses, loans for layer houses and for most agricultural produce production. For a list of government funding addresses you can visit chickenhouses.co.za. When applying for a grant you will need a comprehensive poultry business plan – they will want to know who you are buying from – and how much! Who you are selling to, what you are selling – what your growth plans are. They will need a marketing plan, a cash forecast and a cash flow projection. They will want to know if you have any experience – take a short course in poultry management and get some kind of certificate.
Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries

Co-opertive for chicken farming

Government funded chicken house for 500 broiler chickens

Mail:     Private Bag X250, PRETORIA, 0001
Street:     No 20, Agriculture Place, Block DA, 1st Floor, cnr Beatrix Street and Soutpansberg Road, Arcadia, PRETORIA
Tel:     (012) 319 7319 (012) 319 7319

Mail:     Private Bag X250, PRETORIA, 0001
Tel:     (012) 319 6042 (012) 319 6042
Fax:     (012) 319 7856
Cell:     083 265 8728 083 265 8728
E-mail:     CCO@daff.gov.za
Media Liaison Officer
Ms Priscilla Tsotso Sehoole (Acting)

Mail:     Private Bag X250, PRETORIA, 0001

Chief of Staff
Ms Bafedile Bopape

Mail:     Private Bag X250, PRETORIA, 0001
Tel:     (012) 319 7150 (012) 319 7150
Fax:     (012) 321 8558
E-mail:     COSMIN@daff.gov.za
South African government loans and government funding for chicken houses – these are usually given as grants for poultry houses and broiler chicken houses. Government grants mean that you do not have to pay the money back – it is freely given – well not the cash but the poultry equipment, chicken house and chicken feed and birds etc. Grants for poultry houses and loans for agriculture. A poultry loan will cover all aspects of chicken farming – but only if your business plan is well prepared – make sure you think about all aspects of the business – storage, silos, leveling of the site (hiring a grader can be very expensive), concrete floors in the chicken house, heaters, fans – make sure you have thought of everything before applying for a South African government loans. If it is not in your poultry business plan it is very unlikely you can go back for more. Things that small chicken framers often forget are things like electricity and water – if it is a new piece of farm land you will need to pay Eskom for a connection and for the cables running from the road to your house – and in regards to water you will probably need a borehole and a water tank and stand. Get quotes from several poultry suppliers – make sure that when the grant is given that they have covered everything – and watch out for crooks – those people in government, and the in between so called BEE suppliers – often they will take a hefty cut out of your money for themselves. Grants are generally given to a co-operative, or a group of people – while this is a good way to raise capital – it has the down side that the entrepreneur does not have full control of his chicken farm – decisions are now spread across many people – and that is not always a good thing.
This entry was posted in Government loans and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to South Africa Government loans for chicken farming

1. Lucky says:

We have just recently acquired a 10.8 hectares land with 5 chicken houses that accommodate 2500 chickens each. We need assistance with funding for additional equipment and start up capital. We have water, electricity and have already established a customer base through a pilot phase that run for a couple of months in the previous year.

We are based in Onderstepoort , North of Pretoria

2. Nomvume says:

I am residing in Johannesburg I would like to start poutry farming (Broilers).I have already done the course,and business is plan ready, my problem is land.I have heard that there is land available around Jhb-(rent to buy land)that belongs to government,that land is controlled by public works. Do you know anything about that? ,if yes what do I do to get on hold of those people.

3. kabuye sam says:

i need to be helped in geting money to keep chicken in my local area

4. Simon Mdau says:

Good day to all, my name is Simon Mdau representing the company called KEBS Investment (Pty) Ltd. Trading As “Progressive Poultry Abattoir” (PPA) the company has applied for environmental authorization to slaughter 880,000 chickens per month, employing 226 permanent employees excluding security and drivers of all vehicle. Currently the government has assisted 12 cooperative with building of fowl runs with a capacity of 40,000 birds each, and these broiler houses has been laying empty for 3 to 4 years, therefore we are looking for funding to build the abattoir that will unlock the operational of these fowl runs and create quality employment. according the feasibility conducted a lots of small business will be created,

5. Mandla says:

I would like to start a poultry farm,need funding how do i go about in order to get a government grant as a i have registered the business as a cc in 2010 with one(1)director, me

6. langalakhe vincent khoza says:

I would like to get a sample business plan

7. Simon Mokhululi says:

I have been working as supervisor in chubby chick poultry for 3 years. I have an experience in growing Broilers. Since 2008 I have been growing close to 300 chickens, I am pleeding to the government to assist me to get proper housing to establish my poultry business, to create more job into our communities. At least when we can grow 2000 chickens that will lead us some way to reach our dreams as young entrepreneurs. We are working hard so that we can achieve our goals. We have the place to rent every month so that we can do something with our own mind and hands. We have great passion on running poultry farming especially chicken. Please once this comment has been recieved we hope we will get the respond in time. Our business is situated in diepsloot/jouberg. We have already started with less amount we want to go big/expand to create more job in our district.

8. lwazi nkonyane says:

I want to open a poultry farming project and I need a funding I wanna create more opportunities of employment can any 1 help me with the information it was always ma dream I started bt problem is money for all equipment.

9. langalakhe vincent khoza says:

i want to knowwhere can i get a sample bussiness plan

10. lungelo says:

I want to start my poultry business. I live at K.Z.N. but i don’t know which structure would help me, or farmers to get the poultry. My business is registered i don’t what department of agriculture could help me with.

• Admin says:

Decide how many chickens you would like to farm with – are you doing broilers or layers? – and then i can help you with the right sized chicken house. You can approach SEDA .org.za for help with funding – or your local department of Agriculture – they will be able to steer you in the right direction for a poultry loan or farming grant.

11. Keorapetse Mabitsela says:

I am currently looking forward to starting a poultry farm. I have a business plan and cash flow for 2 year i would like to know if i can be funded by the grant system. I have applied for finances with Landbank and am waiting for they respond. please advice me as I am about to buy a farm and start the business.

12. I wish to start my Poultry project i have a business plan can you please help me to get a loan